Hiring Freeze Information
An immediate hiring freeze has been implemented which applies to all campuses of EKU. This process will be in place until further notice. Should you have questions about implementation of the hiring freeze contact the Provost Office for faculty hires or your Human Resources Consultant.
Any offers that were extended and accepted, or actions already communicated to prospective employees prior to December 15, 2017, will be processed without requiring a Hiring Freeze Exemption Request Form.
Currently posted positions for which offers have not been made by December 15, 2017 must undergo a second review by the Dean or Vice President for criticality prior to making an offer, with the following guiding criteria:
- Accreditation standards
- Academic excellence
- Meeting the academic needs of students
- Providing high quality, competitive programs
- Campus safety and delivery of essential university services
All other personnel actions, including temporary employees, are subject to the hiring freeze guidelines outlined below.
Hiring Freeze Guidelines
1. Staff - The hiring freeze applies to new positions, reinstatement, reappointment, and all promotions/reclassifications. It covers all full-time, part-time and temporary staff appointments, regardless of the sources of funds used to support the position. (Grants may be addressed with the Hiring Freeze Exemption Request Form).
- There will be a minimum waiting period of 90 days between the incumbent’s last day and posting the position.
- Exemptions will be considered for positions involving campus safety and delivery of essential university services, including auxiliary service units.
2. Faculty – The hiring freeze applies to all base budgeted unrestricted fund positions. The Deans’ Council and Provost will consider an exemption to the freeze for faculty and staff positions funded entirely through sponsored program revenues. Part-time faculty contracts should be used judiciously but are excluded from the hiring freeze process.
- Exemptions will be considered for positions involving maintenance of accreditation standards, academic excellence, meeting the academic needs of students, and providing high-quality competitive programs.
3. Vacant positions may be filled after approval of an exemption request.
4. No employment action (except for disciplinary, terminations, and/or non-reappointments) or position posting will occur before an exemption request is approved. The hiring freeze should not deter supervisors from taking necessary employment action.
5. Position downgrades, demotions, or title or job description changes with no change in salary do not require a Hiring Freeze Exemption Request Form.
Prior to initiating an action to list a position or process any personnel action, the Hiring Freeze Exemption process below must be followed:
- The unit head completes the exemption form.
- The manager initiating the action, the department head, dean, and vice president (staff only) signs the form.
- The signed form must be received by Human Resources (staff) or the Provost (faculty) by Noon on Friday each week for processing.
- The Deans’ Council (faculty) or Staff Exemption Review Committee (staff) will review and approve or disapprove.
- The Office of Human Resources or the Provost will make the final exemption decision.
Human Resources or the Office of the Provost will notify the appropriate parties regarding the decision and return the form to the originating department. No actions may be taken until the Hiring Freeze Exemption Request Form has been fully approved.
- Once an exemption has been approved, a position action or position listing may be initiated with a PAF or correct form through Human Resources.
- The approved Hiring Freeze Exemption Request Form must be attached with the PAF. If the approved form is not attached to the PAF, it will be returned to the hiring department.
Other Personnel Actions
- A Hiring Freeze Exemption Request Form must be submitted and approved prior to hiring temporary employees in assignments expected to last 30 days or more. A Hiring Freeze Exemption Request Form will also be required to extend a temporary assignment beyond 30 days.
- Existing student positions, including graduate assistants, will be exempt from the hiring freeze.
- A Hiring Freeze Exemption Request Form must be submitted and approved prior to hiring additional institutional student employees or graduate assistants that are not currently being paid from the departmental budget.
Published on January 03, 2018