- A volunteer is not considered an employee of the University.
- A volunteer must be age 18 or older, complete the required volunteer forms, pass a criminal background check, and receive pre-approval from Human Resources before they can begin volunteering.
- A volunteer willingly provides their services free of charge without any promise, expectation, or receipt of pay or benefit from the University.
- A volunteer performs activities at the request of, for the benefit of, and under the supervision of the University and does not perform hazardous duties or any duties that would replace/displace an actual employee of EKU.
- Current employees may not serve as volunteers at EKU in any capacity in which they are employed at the University, or which is essentially similar to or related to their regular work at the University. They can only volunteerfor special events.
- An EKU volunteer’s service may be terminated at any time, for any reason or no reason at all, with or without prior notice.
Process Highlights for Engaging Volunteers
- Review the Volunteer Program Guidelines to become familiar with the program.
- Create a written summary of the duties or services to be performed by thevolunteer and the educational, experience, and physical requirements to perform those duties.
- Complete the Volunteer Eligibility Questionnaire to ensure that use of avolunteer is appropriate for your situation.
- Have the individual wishing to volunteer complete a Volunteer Service Application.
- Complete an EKU Volunteer Service Agreement and obtain the required signatures.
- Submit all paperwork to HR and await approval.
- HR will send approval once the paperwork has been reviewed and the background check satisfactorily completed.